categories

Sunday, October 4, 2015

It's (Almost) Christmas in Killarney

For the final leg of my independent travel weekend, I visited Killarney, which is about two hours outside of Dingle. Having been on my feet consistently for two days straight, for almost twelve hours each day, I'll admit that I was very much looking forward to a bus ride where I could lean back, pull out my headphones, and be transported through the fantastic hills and valleys that make up this region of Ireland. We had a layover in Tralee, and then another thirty minute bus ride before I was let off at the Killarney Outlet Centre and Bus Station. I used the small station's wifi to get directions to my bed and breakfast, and lugged my duffel down the drizzly road.


My lodging, the Slieve Bloom Manor was about fifteen minutes outside of the center of town, but I was staying on a busy stretch of gas stations, convenience stores, and bed and breakfasts. I was greeted warmly by the owner and, upon asking for suggestions on how best to get to the Muckross Estate in the Killarney National Park, was given pamphlets for different shuttle buses and times. Thanking her, I dropped my things and headed back towards town, wandering through the busier center in wait for the three P.M. shuttle.

Killarney is similar to Galway, Dingle, Doolin, and Lisdoonvarna, among others, in terms of appearance and atmosphere--to an extent. Of those cities, Killarney is by far the largest and busiest. The streets are wider, and they almost invite tourism with shops of Irish wool sweaters and gift shops, spread between countless bars and restaurants spilling out with crowds watching the Gaelic football game between Kerry and Dublin. It was, I immediately decided, a lively place: one, however, that would be more enjoyable with a group. Part of that is due to the fact that the general age group there that weekend was over sixty.


And that's not to say that I didn't enjoy myself alone, because I most certainly did. I would, however, go back to the city only if I were to go with friends.


I returned to the bus station and waited outside for the shuttle, stopping to grab a ninety-nine cone at a convenience kiosk in the outlet mall. Five, ten, fifteen, thirty minutes later and the shuttle still had not arrived. After asking the woman behind the counter in the station, she remembered that the shuttle had stopped running at one P.M. because of the game going on. Thanking her, I left and followed the arrows pointing the way to the Ross Castle, my backup plan. There weren't any indications of distance, so I assumed that it wouldn't be too far. I followed the quiet road and eventually saw the sign welcoming me into the park. It wasn't much longer before a small break in the trees revealed a car park, and the castle peaked out from above.

Rainy selfies!

The Road Mostly Traveled
Ross Castle
I was standing in the middle of a painting. The way the sun slanted over the dark water, the swans curled through one another, the castle standing proudly above.
And for just two euro, I could tour the castle. There isn't any original furniture of the time, save one chest in the chieftain's bedroom. But the recreations gave a good idea of how the royal lived five hundred years ago--something we can't begin to fathom in America. The size of rooms made for thirty or more guards is almost illegal, and the direction of the winding stairs was made so that guards could rush down in an enemy invasion with their right hand free for defense. In all, it was incredibly informative in intriguing. I didn't grow up learning about the great castles of our country; the only lessons I got were from Disney, mainly. Now it's Game of Thrones, but that's another story entirely. Here, the imagination is allowed to run wild with stories of fortresses, kingdoms, and royalties. It's hard to wrap your head around the fact that these once were someone's home; but it's exactly how it was. Talk about a mystical world.


My tour ended around five-thirty P.M., and I ran back to the bed and breakfast to drop of some things and then went into town for dinner. I perused my options, took a free ice cream sample, and chose Sceal Eile, a bakery with restaurant upstairs. Inside, the place is decorated with posters of Irish writers and vintage magazine covers; candles glowing in wine bottles on each table; and a quiet backroom with stacks of books behind glass and me and one other couple. I sat for a while with my Shepherd's Pie, lamb soaked with red wine gravy and vegetables on the side, and then a slice of apple tart. Talk about being stuffed--with no regrets, of course.



Sceal Eile doesn't do live music, which I was really craving, so I headed out and poked my head into a few pubs before settling on a pub called Corky's... I believe. It was dark, I heard music, and just jumped in. It was tightly packed with couples and friends celebrating or cursing the match, but either way with a drink in hand and swaying, buzzed, to the music. I probably stepped over some rule about entering a pub and not ordering anything, but I did it and sat at a stool behind a threshold. The musician busted out American music: "Thinking Out Loud", "Ring of Fire", and "Someone Like You" with the accompaniment of a drunk, elderly gentleman from the bar were among the selections. She also included two traditional Irish songs, and a second person performed the tin whistle alongside the guitar. I slipped out when the musician's set ended, and the speakers were turned on for "Last Christmas" to filter through the speakers. It was chilly when I swung the door open, and was almost waiting for snowfall. No such luck.

Found outside a quiet bar. I see you.


Despite very little sense of Christmas, Killarney is one for all of the folks at home. The walk home was alive with older couples going home that night, or younger crowds walking through the streets crying out loudly for no apparent reason. The life stayed with me that night, and in the morning crystallized into a sun rising over the hill I hadn't much noticed the previous day.


I wouldn't go back without a group of my own, where my crowd would be a little younger, but when in the city I actually forgot that I was alone. And that, my friends, is yet another beauty of independent travel. You don't need familiar faces to feel enveloped in a place. You just need to be willing to see it for yourself.


“To wander is to be alive.” – Roman Payne

No comments:

Post a Comment